Thursday, May 8, 2008

The epic adventures of the rasta crown

Have you tried looking for a good rasta pattern? Oh, you'll find berets, snoods, chulos, and newsboys, but good luck if you need to help someone wrangle their dreads. I considered designing my own pattern, but the hunt was just too much fun. In the end I found http://www.woolywormhead.com had lots of rasta hats to choose from. I ended up choosing "starburst" because of the sweet triangular pattern on the crown. Rastas, by nature, are very spiritual people and I thought that triangles represented a lot (spiritually speaking). My first attempt at this hat proved to be a long night of frogging since I thought I'd be lazy and skip the tubular cast-on. I had never tried a tubular cast-on before, but realized that it was time to try something new when the 1X1 ribbing didn't have nearly the hold to keep dreadlocks under wraps. My second attempt looks beautiful, even though I haven't blocked it yet. Tomorrow will be the moment of truth (and photographs) when we see if it is a good fit! I've noticed a lot of rastas wearing hats with a drawstring through the brim to tighten it so it won't fall. I think a well knit, custom sized hat should not need a drawstring. Time will tell.

No comments: