Friday, October 10, 2008

Fraterville Mining Disaster



After the Fraterville mine accident in 1902 only 3 men were left alive in the small town. Over 1,000 children were left fatherless. My ancestors (my Mother's family) are from a neighboring community, Briceville, TN. One web search claimed that 8 of my ancestors died in this tragedy. My Grandfather went on to work in the mines of this area and continued to do so for most of his life.

The following is a letter written by one of the 200 miners that suffocated while trapped in the mine (like many miners, he was trapped with his son who also perished there):
"Alice, do the best you can; I am going to rest. Good-bye dear little Ellen darling, good-bye for us both. Elbert said the Lord had saved him. Do the best you can with the children. We are all praying for air to support us; but it is getting so bad without any air. Howard, Elbert said for you to wear his shoes and clothing. It is now 2:30 o’clock. Powell Harmon is in Audrey Wood’s hands. Ellen, I want you to live right and come to Heaven. Raise the children the best you can. Oh, how I wish to be with you. Good-bye all of you, good-bye. Bury me and Elbert in the same grave. My little Eddie, good-bye. Ellen, good-bye. Lillie, good-bye. Jimmie, good-bye. Horace. There are a few of us alive yet. Oh, God, for one more breath. Ellen remember me as long as you live. Good-bye darling."

No comments: